New PCBs, new project

20120306-232236.jpg

New PCBs just showed up for our second project. They’re looking sexy as usual. At the last minute I swapped out the TQFP atmega footprint for a DIP package. It means I’ll have to go back and make changes to the lard before any kind of final run, but I was getting sick of soldering atmegas onto test boards with no way to salvage them when I go to the next iteration. I guess I could always reheat the pcb and pluck them off, but that’s a project for another day.

This board will be the first time we’ve used a free spinning rotary encoder, should be interesting and make for a pretty flexible interface. We’ll also be running an 8×2 LCD using a shift register to save pins. Now I’ve just got to find time to solder the thing.